Pages

Monday 10 August 2015

My Dad

I have just come back from Dunedin from visiting my dad in hospital. I was inspired to share some thoughts and reflections on my dad from the recent past when reading about Kay's dad on her recent post. Since in my early 20's my dad and I have shared a special relationship around sporting endeavours. I had a game of pool with dad in Dunedin in the nursing home, Little Sisters two weeks ago. Sadly it was nothing like old times as dad was very confused about what balls to hit and that you have to hit the white ball first...old age can be cruel. My dad is now 84 but only 4 years ago he was a lot sharper. Here is a tongue and cheek account of one of those times!


                                                            Thrashed

Oh the embarrassment! Cleaned up by my 80 year young father!

I suppose I shouldn't take it so hard as he has regularly beaten me in my earlier contests with him. In fact he has been consistently competitive over the years and we have brought out the best and worst in each other at times. Neither of us likes to lose.

I should be philosophical about the result as I did gain a convincing victory last time and I did have some bad luck this time. But some how this does not seem to bring me any solace!

I'm beginning to sound more like John all the time. Must have read too many of his blogs. If only I could express my feelings as well as he! If I could you would truly understand how devastating this defeat was!

I suppose you are saying to yourself ''Get over it man. It's only a game!''. If only I could take some consolation in that thought!

I mean the humiliation. How can I possibly hold my head high when I've been comprehensively thrashed 4-0. I suppose there will be other days and hopefully better days where I can restore some self respect.

Back to the drawing board. Out with the pool cue and a strict practising regime before I head back down to Dunedin again to find some redemption. That is if my dad is gracious enough and willing to allow me the chance to challenge him again. He may now think I am not sufficiently skilled for him to bother playing with.

Can only hope I can pick up the pieces and get myself sorted out before next time.

I do apologise for my ramblings and the negative depressing nature of this blog. Do forgive me. It has been a long upsetting and trying day in coming to terms with my recent defeat. 

Thrashed in pool 4 - 0 by my ageing father. The shame!



At Christmas in Nelson in 2011 [with Bernard, Catherine, Margaret, Vincent and myself]



With my sisters Margaret and Catherine





8 comments:

  1. Enjoy all of those great memories of special times with your Dad.

    It's great, I think, that he thrashed you 4 - 0, at his age.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Paul, I do know what you mean about loving sports with your Dad. I am sorry if he is having memory problems. Just be gentle with him and explain the game rules, it might come back to him as you are speaking. And if not, that's okay, just be with him and enjoy him.
    I love to "watch" baseball with my Dad. We talk on the phone and watch the Atlanta Braves. Most of the time, they lose!
    Happy to have inspired you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love for your father comes through your story no matter how upset you were about the loss! It's sad that he has a harder time playing now, but i hope he will keep playing with you if he's enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not easy, is it Paul? However, where possible keep him playing. I didn't know you were back blogging. It was nice to see you on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm late responding to this post, but I was thinking that I hadn't seen your blog in a while, and I thought I'd check it out. It's very hard to see our parents age, but it's wonderful that you played with him despite his confusion. I'm guessing you'd give a lot to have him trounce you soundly again. Just love him as you two go through this tough time. I hope all is well with you, that you're enjoying lots of life and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Paul,
    Just leaving a comment here, to say that I miss your posts and hope you are doing well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing.Thank for your very good article...!

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  8. We Offer Loan At A Very Low Rate Of 3%. If Interested, Kindly Contact Us. email us at (fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete