Pages

Thursday 17 January 2013

What a clever boy I am

Last weekend I celebrated my 54th birthday by baking my own cake. I am so proud of myself as it was my first successful attempt and it was a winner.

You ladies out there and at the risk of upsetting some men, you domesticated males, will be aware of the cake baking process and I will not insult you by explaining in depth the mixing and preparing. Some of you might even be ho hum about this report but for me it was a momentous achievement.

It started as a basic chocolate cake.

However as it was to be my birthday cake and I was totally in charge I decided to make a densely chocolaty extravaganza. I know I'm talking it up but it was a work of art and finesse and quite labour intensive.

After the mixing I added 250g of broken up dark chocolate pieces into the mixture and baked in the oven.



After the 2 cake mixtures were baked and had cooled down I added chocolate icing to one and caramel to the other.





Bianca put my age on the cake with chocolate buttons.



To add to the decoration and to provide some variety and colour I put pink and white marshmallows around the outside.



All that was left now was to place the candles and light them. Lea in her wisdom decided there was an easier way to deal with the advancing years of the birthday boy.



Of course I had the honour of cutting the cake and serving to the expectant and excited recipients of my labour of love. We garnished it with cream!



The cake was a hit and as you can tell I am extremely pleased with myself and can't wait until the next birthday for another opportunity to show off my prowess in the kitchen.

Stay tuned for further birthday reports.




11 comments:

  1. And you did a great job too! It was a great cake and very yummy! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Was lovely to have special people around to share my birthday with!

      Delete
  2. Get cracking...it's my birthday next month!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha what an awesome cake...great flavors as well...happy birthday man...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday and who ever said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Good job. You are so young really. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday Paul. Looks like you did a fantastic job on the cake, looks very yummy. I think maybe there will be some running and biking being done of the next few day to wear off those calories.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! That cake looks very good to me!!
    (If I could, I would call you and sing "Happy Birthday" to you in my best Elvis impression...I have done it before and left it on answering machines and no one guesses that it is me!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Paul! I know this is crazy, but I salivated over seeing your cake pictures--way up north on the planet in Wisconsin, U.S.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a magnificent cake Paul! Well done and long may your cooking adventures continue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many happy returns of the day, Paul. You have my full admiration for making that excellent cake... I could no more make one than fly! I'm absolutely no good at baking. I liked the unique candles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure the smoke alarms were very happy to see the number candles instead of 54 little ones. It looks delicious but I can feel my blood sugar rising just looking at the pictures. :) Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete