Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Putting the young girl through her paces

As many of you know I am a fanatical, some say 'mad' runner. For the last 20 years I have been competing in what is regarded the hardest cross country race in New Zealand, the Vosseler Shield, held on Mt Victoria here in Wellington. I have managed to win my grade about 10 times in the last 13 years since becoming a Masters runner. What makes it particularly hard are the steep inclines and the race consists of 2 x 5km laps.

Since I annually compete in this race I have not had an opportunity to photograph the course. A few weeks ago with camera in hand I led Lea around one lap of the course. I won't give any detail about the comments she made as she experienced this challenging and demanding course.


Here goes! Wish me luck!

Glad to be up the first big hill

Some flat running through the Velodrome


Look at that sea view





Glance over your shoulder you're missing the good bits

Back on firm ground but will these hills ever end

Now for some views after the hard work


Wellington vistas to take in between breaths

Now my specialty...the downhills


Made it to the top so it's all down hill from here

Relax those arms

Showing some good form

Striding downhill towards the finish

Don't know what all the fuss is about




Lea insisted I owed her lunch after putting her through such a strenuous activity. The pie with gravy and hot chocolate at Cafe La Faire was really appreciated after taking on the Vosseler Shield course.




Lea has informed me that it is her very first and last time and is looking forward to seeing me suffer in May when I once again will take up the challenge and try and retain my title from my last time competing in 2011.

8 comments:

  1. hahaha...first and last...i would eat good after that as well...pretty cool on your winning your age...awesome man...best wishes on this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are not overworking your lady.
    This blog still doesn't come up on my blog list Paul. Very strange as I am listed among your followers.
    I bought a skype camera today. Cant figure out how to work it yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off to Lea...that would have killed me.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, my thoughts extactly, way to go Lea. Good luck to you too Paul when it is your turn to run your race.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing Lea! I would never have made it! It looks a great place to go walking though :-) Lovely views! Great photos Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pheww well done Lea on managing that run - looks pretty tough to me!!! Great views though :))
    Good luck Paul on your run :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lea must be a devil for punishment... at least that's how I look at it. I imagine she had a very healthy appetite after all that running.

    ReplyDelete