- My favourite memory of my school days were doing Latin and the daily vocab challenges. I have carried this with me and today as a primary school teacher I have a real passion to help kids improve their vocabulary. I developed a programme called Glossary which the children in my class all seem to enjoy immensely.
- My favourite artists of all time are - Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Joy Division, Leonard Cohen, Elliott Smith and New Order. I was first introduced to Bob Dylan through a Malaysian friend who I studied with in Christchurch. That was about 35 years ago now and I listened to him religiously and exclusively for a decade. I was intrigued by his vocals and the way he expressed his lyrics.
- I have lived all my life in New Zealand. I was born and grew up in Dunedin, spent 4 years in Christchurch where I studied to be a Catholic Priest (another story for another time) and finally relocated to the Wellington region where I now live on the Kapiti Coast. I spent about 3 years in the US and UK. London is still a favourite destination which I visit every couple of years.
- Music has always played a huge part in my life. My mum took great pride in showing me and my sister Margaret off to the public where we won most competitions we entered. She used to get frustrated when I couldn't quite reach the high notes she wanted me to reach. Here is a link of a recording Mum did for me when I was 12. I was performing a song called Bonnie Wee Thing - http://www.supload.com/listen?s=0pCYJM and here is a link to my sister Margaret and me performing Dream Seller - http://www.supload.com/listen?s=nbpaU7
- I started running at the age of 10 and became competitive when I was about 22. Running has allowed me to deal with insecurities and self esteem issues and I have taken great pride in the achievements I have enjoyed over the years. The peak of my running career was competing for New Zealand in mountain running in Europe about 6 times.
- I work as a primary school teacher and really enjoy teaching the 7 / 8 year old age group. I have been teaching for the past 19 years and have a great passion for helping kids develop themselves and build confidence in their abilities.
- My favourite colours are black and blue.
- My favourite sports to follow are Rugby League where I am a loyal supporter of the New Zealand Warriors, cricket and the New Zealand Breakers basketball team. I have followed cricket since the age of 10 where I often would be seen carrying my little transistor radio around with me so I wouldn't miss anything.
- My favourite food is pizza with lots of meat.
- My favourite movie of all time is One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest I remember watching this movie with my mum. My favourite actor is Dustin Hoffman.
Sunday, 31 March 2013
Getting to know each other
I have quite a few new followers and readers on my blog and I thought it is a great time to get to know each other. So today I will share a few things of myself and hope that you will join me in sharing some interesting facts of yourself so I can get to know you. So here goes -